Thursday, March 6, 2014

It's about the Mix, not the Match

 
I am really into mixing prints right now! In my outfits, in Wrenly's outfits, in our home.... I can't put my finger on what it is that makes me love this so much I just do.

Mixing prints is one of those things that you think breaks the rules when in actuality it has a few rules of its own. If you're thinking about trying out this trend, here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. It's good to mix one large scale geometric with one small scale geometric and one floral.

2. Keep one color consistent from print to print.

For example: magenta/grey; magenta/white; chartreuse/white; chartreuse/grey/white....

 
 
3. There are a few neutrals that work with almost anything.

For example:
stripes in navy & white or black and white (and always leopard)
 


 
 

4. And, keep it in the same color values.

Use deep saturated tones with other deep saturated tones; pastels with pastels; etc.
 

Here and Here are a couple expert opinions for mixing patterns in your home. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I too love to mix + match colors and patterns. You're right, it's all about the scale of the patterns and color values. Sometimes I add something completely unexpected to the mix and it just works because I love it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete