Friday, January 17, 2014

Why I Decorate

I have a love for decorating. Decorating our home, our church, my office, events, anything really. And, I feel this is something I am gifted at. A while back, I saw this gift as common, not really a gift at all. In fact, I dismissed it as something small that a lot of people could do. I didn't regard it as all that special. But, someone told me a couple of years ago, after I had decorated for a large women's event, "What you do is not common. You see it as that, but not everyone can do what you do. This is your gifting." It made me stop and think. Maybe this is my gift?

Then, I heard this passage below. It's in the bible and it's about, of all things a woman who I feel was a decorator. Probably the first decorator mentioned in all of history!


2 Kings 4:8-37 (MSG)
8 One day Elisha passed through Shunem. A leading lady of the town talked him into stopping for a meal. And then it became his custom: Whenever he passed through, he stopped by for a meal.
9-10 “I’m certain,” said the woman to her husband, “that this man who stops by with us all the time is a holy man of God. Why don’t we add on a small room upstairs and furnish it with a bed and desk, chair and lamp, so that when he comes by he can stay with us?”

Did you hear that? She said let's add on to the house, and create a space for this special person. And then, she began her Homegoods shopping list! I'll need to get a bed... a desk, a chair, a lamp... Oh, it has to be the right lamp - Lighting is everything! 

When I read this, I immediately put a mark on that page in the bible and said, "I'm in here!"  So many times, we hear of the great prophets and the Abrahams, Moses's, John the Baptists' and we may not identify. But here is a girl, who knew the importance of an inviting space. She was like many of us and said "This. This is what I can do."

You see, there is power in your environment. I'll probably say this a lot in the future, but your environment, your home, your space, matters. Making a space feel comfortable, beautiful, tranquil, inspiring, warm, fun... you name it... effects and honors the people in it. Think about your home for example, you are creating the backdrop for your family to grow up in, it's the scenery for all your memories. Décor is important!

And, in the case of this lady from Shunem, she was creating a place of honor which ultimately ushered in miracles for her community and her own household. (Keep reading through verse 37). She saw that a person God was using in her life needed a comfortable and nice place to stay, so she prepared a place for him. And when she did that, she won favor with him and with God. You are sewing a seed of love into the people you decorate for. It makes their life better and in turn, yours will be too.

Decorating....
This is what I can do and I shall do it with love.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this Ash. It IS your gift, (among others.) No, we all don't "have it" (me.) lol! I've been saying for 5 years, "I can't wait to turn my house into a home." Unfortunately, that still hasn't 'happened'. Your vision is welcome into my home at anytime ;) love you! Proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete